Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New Mexico Continued: Do you know the way to Santa Fe?

Ok, so that's really the only Santa Fe related quote I know...

Mike has another LSU friend, Jack, who currently lives in Santa Fe with his wife, Amy. We went to their wedding in New Orleans in 2010. Absolutely beautiful! They let us know that we were always welcome to visit them in Santa Fe, which sounded amazing! So, the day after Jen and Mike's wedding in Albuquerque, Mike and I headed north to Santa Fe. The terrain in that part of the country is so different from what I'm used to.

Since Jack was at work (he's an ER doc!), Amy met us at a local "greasy spoon" type restaurant and I got to enjoy Green Chile Enchiladas! (About 90% of my meals included green chiles on this trip...as they should.) After that, Amy led us back to their lovely home in the mountains. Almost every room had skylights so there was a lot of beautiful natural light in their house. It had several levels since it was built on the side of a mountain. My favorite part was the unique guest bathroom.
The mountain is IN the shower!! How cool is that?
Then we drove back to town to check out the art scene along Canyon Road.
Mike and I relaxing on some surprisingly comfortable "rock chairs."
Amy and I with the dancing sheep!
When we got back home, we convinced Amy to break out her violin and play us a couple songs. Mike was extremely interested and Amy generously showed him how to play it. Because Mike is naturally musically talented, he started playing recognizable tunes right away!

When Jack got home form work, we drove up the mountain to see the sunset. There was snow along the side of the road and it was very chilly when we got out of the car!
We had sushi for dinner (including a roll with green chiles, of course!) and then came back to play a round of Scrabble. Amy is very good at Scrabble and neither Mike nor I are wordsmiths, to say the least, but we held our own! I was sure Jack was going to come up with some crazy medical words for lots of points, but he didn't!
Amy won!
The next morning, Jack, Mike and I went for a hike along the trail across the street from Jack and Amy's home (Yeah, they have a hiking trail across the street from their house! How awesome is that?!)
Gorgeous day for a hike!

Mike and I shared Jack's hiking poles
When we returned, it was almost time for us to head back to Albuquerque to catch our flight. We cleaned up and the four of us went to have lunch at Le Pod, a food truck which serves French street food like crepes and frog dogs (hot dogs in a baguette). 

It got a lot colder by lunchtime so we had our frog dogs in the car!
After lunch we loaded up the rental car and drove back to Albuquerque to catch our flight home. We had a really great trip and big thanks to Jack and Amy for hosting us! We're glad we got to visit you guys in Santa Fe before you move to Louisiana!

1 comment:

EllenQ said...

Green chiles are the first thing I think of when I picture New Mexico! I was doing some work at UNM a few years ago and stopped into the student union to grab some lunch. I went to Sonic (because PA didn't have ANY!) and you could get green chiles added to anything on the menu - I had green chile cheese tots and they were amazing!