Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feeding Friendship: Cilantro Tabouli with Quinoa

This round of Feeding Friendship focused on ancient grains. I've been on a quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) kick lately. I use it instead of rice for stir fry. It has more protein than other grains and probably some other added health benefits.

I made a tabouli that I've made before, but with pearl barley. I loved it, so I thought I'd give it a try with quinoa. My friend, Kristin, brought over a similar dish with cucumber and feta cheese so I sort of combined the two.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of dry quinoa
1 cup of water

1/2 tomato, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 bunch of green onions, sliced thinly
3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup feta cheese
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of one lemon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
salt to taste


1) Cook the quinoa in the water according to the package directions. Allow the quinoa to cool.

2) Toss the other ingredients in a large tupperware bowl.

3) Toss the quinoa in with the other ingredients.

4) Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
I enjoyed mine with some baked crispy shrimp and roast broccoli! Yum!

No comments: